- Advocated successfully to end the use of the adult jail to confine youth awaiting trial as adults. Conditions in the jail included 23 – 24 hour isolation, lack of education, recreation and mental health services.
- Developed legislation to mitigate the harsh effects of Proposition 21, which vastly expanded the number of children tried as adults.
- Organized visits by religious leaders to state and local institutions.
- Ended censorship of chaplains working in county correctional facilities.
- Advocated successfully to allow grandparents to visit their loved in the L.A. County juvenile halls and camps.
- Advocated successfully to add a second day of family visits at the juvenile halls.
- Developed and implemented direct service programs for detained youth.
- Formed the Clergy Advisory Committee that regularly meets with the Chief of Probation to advocate for improving conditions of confinement.